Some food is known to slow down the process of ageing. Research has proved that. Antioxidants and polyphenols protect your cells against free radicals.
Eating a good variety of fruits and veggies is supposed to help to maintain a healthy immune system and thus helping fight issues such as infections. The high content of antioxidants in fruits and veggies are the reason why they will help you keep young cells.
You can find essential nutrients in more or less every fruits and veggies and there are a few tips to make the most benefits out of them.
- You probably know this one but try to eat 5 different fruits and veggies every day. It can be complicated for some of us. Try to prepare them as smoothies or soups.
- Try to eat seasonal and fresh fruits and veggies.
- Variety is the key, so try a lot of different ones regularly!
- Dark fruits and veggies are generally richer in antioxidants. Colour is generally a good indicator.
- Try to not process them too much if possible. Fruits and veggies have more nutrients when they are raw.
Red berries are rich in polyphenols and antioxidants. You can also find them in green tea and red wine (please drink responsibly).
Melon, apricots and carrots are rich in carotenoids which help your brain age healthily. It protects your memory and focus.
Watermelon and tomatoes are both great sources of lycopene. This antioxidant helps your skin against sun free radicals. Of course, you can buy illuminating serum Radiant Glow to scavenge sun free radicals but keep in mind that you are what you eat first!
Rapeseed oil, various nuts and soy are all great sources of omega 3. They will protect your arteries as well as maintaining soft and plumpy skin. If you have dry skin, try to incorporate more sources of omega 3 in your diet. Also, favour omega 3 in salads and avoid fried food.
There are many other sources of antioxidants that you should add to your regular diet. Plums are very rich in antioxidants, citrus fruits are generally rich in vitamin c, essential to create collagen and elastin to keep your skin young-looking and so on. Don’t forget that the key is to eat a varied and nutritious diet.