As most of us are living really busy lives, it is important to keep thinking about ourselves, to remember we sometimes need to slow down and care about ourselves.
Life can be so tiring sometimes we just feel the need to shut off… But what we usually do is just get on smartphones and scroll endlessly on Instagram or TikTok.
Self-care is about an activity that will improve yourself physically, mentally or emotionally, it can even be the three of them together.
The purpose of self-care is to relieve stress and anxiety, relax, and put yourself in a better mood. Why? Simply because you are more inclined to be productive when you’re in a positive and relaxed mindset than when you’re under the weather.
How to start? Journaling will be your headstart.
It’s been proven that writing down your thoughts can help relieve anything that’s on your mind. Just pick up a blank notebook you have or get a super cute one, and get started.
What should you write about? The choice is YOURS. This is your journal so you’re free to write about whatever you want. But if you need some heads up, we do have a few ideas:
- You can write about your day, as a daily or weekly journal;
- You can put down on paper a new recipe you’ve found;
- Write about your feelings of the same, just let go of all that’s on your mind;
- You may also write about what you’d like to improve in your life;
- Or even about new things you want to try;
- You can also talk about your bad habits and how to turn them into good ones;
- And we could go on.
The key is to find what you want to write about, just make a list of the topics you want to write about and get started with it.
Then what? Yes, it’s not all about journaling. At some point, you need to get out of your journal and take some time to do something that makes you feel good but it’s also important to get in a different mindset.
1/ Get into a “change” mood, if you’re wondering about self-care, it means you probably want to change things in your life. Don’t consider self-care as a reward, never. You deserve self-care whenever you want or need it, it’s not a reward. So you should take some proper time for self-care in your schedule.
2/ Avoid and get rid of toxic people in your life, you deserve happy and positive surroundings so keep away from toxic people and situations.
3/ Don’t be afraid to say “No”, you should refuse any situation or offers whenever you clearly don’t feel like doing it. Don’t be ashamed, you don’t have to do everything you’re asked, listen to yourself and learn to say “no”.
4/ Reduce your social media browsing, we know it’s tempting and hard to let go but you need to change your routine and get less screen time especially before bedtime.
Last but not least, depending on how much time you’ve got, there are simple actions to indulge in self-care.
We’ve made a list of self-care activities, ranked from the less time-consuming to the most.
- Breathing exercises
- Get a bowl of fresh fruits
- Call a friend or family
- Watch a funny/cute video
- Colour a mandala (or anything else from a colouring book)
- Get a manicure and/or pedicure
- Skincare routine time (exfoliate, wash & moisturise your skin with non toxic skin care products)
- Go for a walk
- Online shopping
- Have a long and relaxing bath
- Take a nap
- Read a book
- Clean up your drawers/shelves/closet
- Get into your workout session
- Watch a movie or tv show (or re-watch your favourite movie/tv show)
- Meet up with a friend or family
- Get a spa massage
- Learn a new skill
This is a non-exhaustive list of self-care activities. Hopefully, this post will help you to prepare a proper self-care routine.
Don’t forget, you deserve self-care, it is not a reward.